A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday's Afternoon Blaster - 2010 Bowman Chrome

Welcome to this week's Sunday Afternoon Blaster.  Since the Rapture did not happen or maybe it did and I was left behind.  Either way, I decided to celebrate by doing the same thing I did last Sunday...buy a blaster of cards.  This set was about one person and one person only...Stephen Strasburg (aka Mark Prior 2.0, aka David Clyde Part 30).  Don't get me wrong I hope Strasburg has a nice comeback and a great career, but it probably won't happen and it is also why I am not a prospector.  I will also avoid Harper-mania this summer because he will probably become the next Travis Lee.  Most prospects fail kids, sure you might miss out on one big one, but you also didn't pay for 150 busts.  Enough of my rant, let's take a look at last summer's hot set.  Goal for this box is one Rockie I do not own, which should be easy enough since I only have one base card and 2 refractors.

Card coloration is it's availability

white = I'm keeping it
green = available for trade
red = already claimed/traded




Today's blaster is 2010 Bowman Chrome...8 3 card packs, nothing guaranteed.

On with the show.

pack one
122 Hanley Ramirez - Marlins
15 Chris Carpenter - Cardinals
BCP167 Rawley Bishop - Tigers

pack two
78 Kevin Slowey - Twins
195 Jason Donald - Indians
BCP159 Anderson Hidalgo - Twins

pack three
5 Jair Jurrgens - Braves
132 Tim Lincecum Refractor - Giants
BCP156 Kevin Mahoney - Yankees

pack four
38 Troy Tulowitzki - Rockies
USA-18 Blake Swihart - USA Baseball
BCP219 Robbie Erlin - Rangers

pack five
106 Francisco Liriano - Twins
151 Shin-Soo Choo - Indians
BCP147 Brayan Villarreal - Tigers

pack six
77 Nelson Cruz - Rangers
115 Lance Berkman - Yankees
BCP210 Matt Davidson - Diamondbacks

pack seven
130 Aaron Hill - Blue Jays
152 Raul Ibanez - Phillies
BCP196 Jason Kipnis - Indians

pack eight
79 Paul Maholm - Pirates
USA-9 Dillon Maples - USA Baseball
BCP133 Rafael Dolis - Cubs








IMPRESSIONS
Design: D+
Bowman is known as the home of the rookie card, not as the home of great design.  Bowman looks way too similar every year with the black border and different shaped photo.  I understand that there are only so many ways to make a card design, but they really need to change it up a bit.  This one is boring even for Bowman

Inserts / Hits: C
Not much of anything, but at least my refractor was of a star (even if it is the worst possible team for me to get).  The regular veteran refractors (1:6 packs) don't really stand out in this set, because I was ready to complain about missing out on one when I went back through and saw on the back that Lincecum was one.

Value: D
This was not a discounted blaster so I spent the full $19.99 on it.  Yeah I knew it was not worth the price, but I figured why not take a shot.  I love busting wax even though it is often overpriced and it would be easier and cheaper to buy singles.  I will still buy more as long as I am able to (but not of this product).  Check back in 3-5 years, because the grade may go up as the prospects become rookies.

Rox in the Box: 1
I did accomplish my goal of getting a needed Rockie. The only base card I had for this set was Brad Hawpe, so getting Tulo was nice.  Not $20 nice, but still not horrible.  Since there are only 24 cards per blaster and 8 of them were Indians, Twins, and Tigers and 2 others were USA high school players; I consider myself lucky to have gotten one Rockie, let alone Tulo.

Will I Collect This Set: F
Nope.  One word: curlitis.  Well one made up word.  You all know about and are probably sick of hearing about the curling issue for 2010 chromes.  Plus I have no interest whatsoever in the USA baseball guys.  I think Topps is just trying to get another Mark McGwire instance where this set sells like mad 15 years later (like the 1985 Topps in 1998-2000).

Overall: C-
Over-hyped prospects, generic design, awful quality control, and only 3 cards per pack means this was not my best purchase ever.  But it was still (barely) better than getting a 1990 Upper Deck Gem Mint Fred Lynn, so it could have been worse.  Well, the world could have ended, so it REALLY could have been worse.  Claim away for any you might want.

No comments: