A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Friday, May 27, 2011

May Group Break Results from Thorzul Will Rule x 2

Site
Thorzul will Rule

Boxes Busted in the first
2005 Fleer America's National Pastime
2006 Upper Deck Sweet Spot
2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Classics

Boxes Busted in the second
none (a cheapo mystery lot)

Along with Colbey, Thorzul's (Bill) break is one of two that I try to get into each and every month if financially possible.  This month, Bill had two different breaks going on.  The first (well second chronologically but first here) was his regular break with one team and one randomized team and a handful of mid-high end products.  The second was a cheapo break with only one team.  I snagged the Rox in both of course and my randomized team was the Diamondbacks which I desperately tried to trade before the break started.  Luckily (well somewhat luckily), I was unsuccessful.  Let's take a look at my new loot.


THE FIRST BREAK
I didn't get a hit with the Rockies in the first break, but I did pick up some new base cards.  And for a team collector getting a few base cards you don't have is almost as good as getting a hit.  I like this design for some unexplainable reason.  I think my favorite part is the ghostly purple swoop above the solid purple swoop.

I was shut out on the 2007 box and this is the only card I got out the 2005 box other than one more below.  I like this design as well, but would like it even more without the silver logo that reminds me of mid 90s Donruss.

Here are the two DBacks I got from the 2006 box.  Snore, they are for trade.

My hit for the break was a buyback.  It surfaced in the 2005 National Pastime box and was a buyback from way back in 2001, precisely 4 years earlier.  I mean it is a nice jersey swatch of a complete jerk, but the only thing that stands it out as a buyback is the blue Sharpie numbering on the front.  What is stopping someone from just randomly labeling an old jersey with a numbering and calling it a rare buyback?   I think it is numbered to his jersey number, but it is for trade to any Schilling collectors out there.


THE EL CHEAPO BREAK
Now we get to the meat of my break.  In my $8 lot I got not one but two autos.  The Chad Bettis is technically a USA jersey/auto, but he is in Colorado's system and Bill graciously included it in my pack.  I have two other Bettis autos already and this one fits real nicely with the others.  The Aneury Rodriguez auto is from 2008 Donruss Threads.  He was traded to the Rays for Jason Hammel in 2009 and is currently in the Astros bullpen.

For $8 getting those two autos would have made me happy, but I also got two serial numbered cards.  The Jeff Francis is the base card from 2007 Topps Triple Threads and is my first from that set.  The second card is a Barndon Durden blue chrome refractor from 2005 Bowman.  Durden was released druing Spring Training this year after making it to AAA and I don't believe he has caught on with anyone else.

Also in my lot was a pair of Xponentials from 2008 Upper Deck X, a set that is really starting to grow on me.  The Helton is an X2 and was needed.  The Holliday is an X3 and is a dupe and thus up for trade.  Let me know if you need it.

Everything else I got was a dupe, but I thought I would show them off in case you need them.
2010 A&G This Day in History Carlos Gonzalez
2010 Ticket to Toppstown Todd Helton


I also got the entire team set from last year's Topps 100, including my favorite player with him name misspelled on the front.  It is spelled correctly on the back, but for future reference it is spelled Friedrich NO SECOND E.  These are all duplicates as well and can be had in a deal.


OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

Thorzul's breaks are usually either a home run or a groundout.  I have been lucky enough to hit a couple of homers with him.  The first break did not go so well even with the Schilling jersey and that had to do mostly with having two expansion teams and basically being shut out of one of the boxes.  But it was still fun.  The "el cheapo" break more than made up for it.  There is no way I could have gotten all of the cards I received for $8.  All in all I consider it a successful pair of breaks averaged out.

No comments: