A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Quarry Group Break BOX #3 2003 Bazooka

Well, we finished off 1998 Bowman and everyone got a decent starting stack.  Let's move on to 2003 Bazooka which promises 3 hits per box along with 1 silver parallel (except in hit packs) and 1 mini per pack.  There are also several neat (yes, I said neat, leave me alone) inserts in this set.  Expect the following:

Bazooka Comics (1:4) = 6 expected
4 in 1 Stickers (1:4) = 6 expected
Bazooka Stand-Ups = 3 expected

The stickers feature 4 different base cards in stamp form with multiple teams present.  I will not be randoming these cards, I will be presenting them to the team present with the worst box.  My definition of the worst box is in the following order - least # of hits, least # of inserts, least # of parallels, least # of base cards.  I went through in the order they were pulled from the pack and each winning card counted as an insert in future "match ups".  I also automatically eliminated any team I now own with the exception of the Rockies.  I hope this makes sense and seems fair to everyone.  Basically if you get a hit in the box, you probably won't win randomizations...but you did get a hit.  Call me a Communist if you will, but I want everyone to have a good break.  This is sort of new so I hope I explained it well, any questions comment below.



There are also 30 logo variation parallels on select players which feature a color Bazooka logo and a facsimile autograph rather than the black and white logo only that are (1:4), so expect 6 of those as well.

Finally, there are 30 versions of card #7 featuring Bazooka Joe with the logo of each of the 30 MLB teams.  So everyone gets a shot at this one.  Not sure on the odds, but they have to be around (1:1).

The Box

The Pack 
On with the show.

pack one
16A Garret Anderson Color Logo - Angels
177 Dallas McPherson - Angels
158 Jermaine Dye - Athletics
85 Gary Sheffield - Braves
180 Rafael Palmeiro - Rangers
insert
16 Shawn Green standups - Dodgers
mini
44 Vincente Padilla - Phillies
silver
3 Orlando Hudson - Blue Jays


pack two
173 Jorge Julio - Orioles
275 NAMELESS 2nd BASEMAN - Astros
160 Brian Giles - Pirates
22A Mark Prior color logo - Cubs
250A Alex Rodriguez color logo - Rangers
insert
32 4 in 1 sticker Pat Burrell, Garret Anderson, Cliff Floyd, Andruw Jones
mini
268 Joel Pineiro - Mariners
silver
159 Kip Bouknight - Rockies


pack three
274 Clint Nageotte - Mariners
55 Edwin Almonte - White Sox
58 Tony Batista - Orioles
161 Justin Huber - Mets
141 Jake Peavy - Padres
219 Al Leiter - Mets
mini
229 Ichiro - Mariners
silver
111 Chris Duncan - Cardinals


pack four
235 Tom Glavine - Mets
247 Xavier Nady - Padres
81 Craig Biggio - Astros
150 Roger Clemens - Yankees
238 Kevin Cash - Blue Jays
insert
5 Chipper Jones comic - Braves
mini
94 Sean Burroughs - Padres
silver
7 Bazooka Joe - Mariners


pack five
279 Benito Santiago - Giants
176 Terry Tiffee - Twins
7 Bazooka Joe - Padres
48 Torii Hunter - Twins
133 Francisco Rodriguez - Angels
insert
31 4 in 1 sticker Jason Kendall, Richie Sexson, Mike Lowell, Paul LoDuca
mini
215 Carlos Delgado - Blue Jays
silver
139 Jeremy Griffiths - Mets

pack six
162 Mike Restovich - Twins
152 Cory Doyne - Astros
119 Justin Morneau - Twins
57 Drew Henson - Yankees
164 Odalis Perez - Dodgers
7 Bazooka Joe - White Sox
mini
221 Raul Mondesi - Yankees
silver
167 Aaron Heilman - Mets

pack seven
117 Jose Reyes - Mets
189 Matt Diaz - Devil Rays
133 Francisco Rodriguez color logo - Angels
243 J.D. Drew - Cardinals
28 Austin Kearns - Reds
217 Cristian Guzman - Twins
mini
116 Andy Pettitte - Yankees
silver
279 Benito Santiago - Giants


pack eight
136 Paul Byrd - Braves
120 Lance Berkman - Astros
88 Roberto Alomar - Mets
103A Nobuaki Yoshida color logo - Padres
7 Bazooka Joe - Cardinals
insert
17 Pedro Martinez comic - Red Sox
mini
43 Randy Wolf - Phillies
silver
87 Corey Hart - Brewers


pack nine
14 Mark Ellis - Athletics (GREAT PHOTO)
20 Jorge Posada - Yankees
76 Ed Rogers - Orioles
240 Paul Konerko - White Sox
244 Kazuhiro Sasaki - Mariners
80 Randy Johnson - Diamondbacks
mini
252 Derek Jeter - Yankees

HIT #1
PA-AH Piece of Americana jersey Aubrey Huff - Devil Rays



pack ten
48A Torii Hunter color logo - Twins
129 Carlos Pena - Tigers
146 Derrek Lee - Marlins
215 Carlos Delgado - Blue Jays
213 Joe Randa - Royals
insert
33 4 in 1 sticker Xavier Nady, Bobby Abreu, Taggert Bozied, Adrian Beltre
mini
97 John Olerud - Mariners
silver
274 Clint Nageotte - Mariners


pack eleven
123 Troy Glaus - Angels
147 Daryl Clark - Brewers
140 Vladimir Guerrero - Expos
41 Brett Myers - Phillies
54 Wilson Betemit - Braves
7 Bazooka Joe - Orioles
mini
224 Mike Williams - Pirates
silver
169 Rylan Reed - White Sox

pack twelve
168 Dustin Moseley - Reds
77 Cliff Floyd - Mets
7 Bazooka Joe - Tigers
7 Bazooka Joe - Dodgers
216 Chris Kroski - Mariners
insert
12 Mike Piazza comic - Mets
mini
155 Eric Chavez - Athletics
silver
7 Bazooka Joe - Rockies



pack thirteen
227 Chris Snelling - Mariners
260 Juan Gonzalez - Rangers
171 Nic Jackson - Cubs
107 Joe Kennedy - Devil Rays
184 Joe Mauer - Twins
51 Bernie Williams - Yankees
mini
217 Cristian Guzman - Twins
silver
272 Brad Fullmer - Angels

pack fourteen
127 Kerry Wood - Cubs
259 Mike Cameron - Mariners
96 Mariano Rivera - Yankees
7 Bazooka Joe - Blue Jays
7 Bazooka Joe - Astros
insert
24 Nomar Garciaparra comic - Red Sox
mini
234 Corey Koskie - Twins
silver
74 Rafael Furcal - Braves

pack fifteen
187 Jose Hernandez - Brewers
172 Anthony Webster - White Sox
132 Raul Ibanez - Royals
114 Mike Lieberthal - Phillies
210 Eric Hinske - Blue Jays
insert
12 Derek Jeter standups - Yankees
mini
51 Bernie Williams - Yankees
silver
23 Mark Teixeira - Rangers


pack sixteen
183 Kip Wells - Pirates
167 Aaron Heilman - Mets
40 Marty Cordova - Twins
224 Mike Williams - Pirates
263 Wily Mo Pena - Reds
insert
36 4 in 1 sticker Mark Mulder, Sean Burnett, Paul Byrd, Josh Beckett
mini
4 Fernando Vina - Cardinals
silver
142 Bryan Bullington - Pirates

pack seventeen
151 Khalil Greene - Padres
66 Willie Harris - White Sox
255 Kazuhisa Ishii - Dodgers
67 Sean Casey - Reds
91 Scott Hatteberg - Athletics
7 Bazooka Joe - Athletics
mini
157 Billy Koch - White Sox
silver
61 Brandon Phillips - Indians

pack eighteen
26 A.J. Pierzynski - Twins
113 Sean Burnett - Pirates
140A Vladimir Guerrero color logo - Expos
16 Garret Anderson - Angels
7 Bazooka Joe - Cubs
insert
11 John Smoltz comic - Braves
mini
18 Jason Kendall - Pirates
silver
256 Brad Nelson - Brewers



pack nineteen
153 Brandon Roberson - Astros
52 Wade Miller - Astros
211 Will Smith - Marlins
154 Josh Fogg - Pirates
64 Moises Alou - Cubs
234 Corey Koskie - Twins
mini
246 Jason Schmidt - Giants

HIT #2
BB-RH Bazooka Blasts bat Rickey Henderson - Red Sox


pack twenty
78 Matt Clement - Cubs
15 Tim Salmon - Angels
73 Jimmy Journell - Cardinals
7 Bazooka Joe - Mariners
7 Bazooka Joe - Giants
insert
35 4 in 1 Willie Harris, Nick Johnson, Jason Jennings, Kazuhisa Ishii
mini
191 Kevin Mench - Rangers
silver
197 Mike Fontenot - Orioles


pack twenty one
249 Jimmy Rollins - Phillies
194 David Eckstein - Angels
163 Brandon Webb - Diamondbacks
128 Ellis Burks - Indians
89 Robin Ventura - Yankees
193 Shannon Stewart - Blue Jays
mini
141 Jake Peavy - Padres
silver
151 Khalil Greene - Padres

pack twenty two
138 Dewon Brazelton - Devil Rays
9 Juan Pierre - Marlins
245 Jeff Bagwell - Astros
97 John Olerud - Mariners
42 Mo Vaughn - Mets
insert
4 Barry Zito comic - Athletics
mini
244 Kazuhiro Sasaki - Mariners
silver
117 Jose Reyes - Mets


pack twenty three
202 Frank Thomas - White Sox
13 Rodrigo Lopez - Orioles
29 Bret Boone - Mariners
31 Greg Maddux - Braves
7 Bazooka Joe - Reds
insert
4 Sammy Sosa standups - Cubs
mini
89 Robin Ventura - Yankees
silver
7 Bazooka Joe - Giants


pack twenty four
269 Andruw Jones - Braves
233 Adrian Gonzalez - Marlins
7 Bazooka Joe - Braves
7 Bazooka Joe - Royals
7 Bazooka Joe - Pirates
insert
34 4 in 1 sticker Rocco Baldelli, Dontrelle Willis, Chris Snelling, Mark Teixeira
mini
114 Mike Lieberthal - Phillies
silver
168 Dustin Moseley - Reds


4 IN 1 STAMP MATCHUPS
32 4 in 1 sticker Pat Burrell, Garret Anderson, Cliff Floyd, Andruw Jones
Phillies over Angels 3 base to 6 base…Mets/Braves eliminated earlier

31 4 in 1 sticker Jason Kendall, Richie Sexson, Mike Lowell, Paul LoDuca
Brewers over Dodgers 0 inserts to 1 insert

33 4 in 1 sticker Xavier Nady, Bobby Abreu, Taggert Bozied, Adrian Beltre
Padres over Phillies/Dodgers 0 inserts to 1 insert

36 4 in 1 sticker Mark Mulder, Sean Burnett, Paul Byrd, Josh Beckett
Athletics over Braves 1 insert to 2 inserts

35 4 in 1 Willie Harris, Nick Johnson, Jason Jennings, Kazuhisa Ishii
Rockies over White Sox 0 base to 6 base…Dodgers/Yankees eliminated earlier

34 4 in 1 sticker Rocco Baldelli, Dontrelle Willis, Chris Snelling, Mark Teixeira
Rangers by default no other teams claimed


Okay, we got shorted a hit.  But before anyone gets upset I am not one for spoilers, but we will make it up in the next box.  Onto the box, we got all of the expected inserts and several teams got a Bazooka Joe.  Two teams were left without a single base card, my Rockies and surprisingly the Red Sox.  Although, the Red Sox made up for it with the bat card of a Hall of Famer so there probably won't be any complaints.  My Rox got 2 parallels of "players" that never played in the majors.  Oh well, can't win them all.  If there is a break I prefer to badly in...it is my own.

Box Winners
Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, Mariners, Mets, Twins (again)

Box Losers
Indians, Rockies, Expos, Tigers


Here is the total for each team for this box ONLY including the 4 in 1 stickers.
Angels - B: 6, P: 3, I: 0, H: 0
Astros - B: 8, P: 0, I: 0, H: 0
Athletics - B: 4, P: 1, I: 2, H: 0
Blue Jays - B: 5, P: 2, I: 0, H: 0
Braves - B: 6, P: 1, I: 2, H: 0
Brewers - B: 2, P: 2, I: 1, H: 0
Cardinals - B: 3, P: 2, I: 0, H: 0
Cubs - B: 5, P 1, I: 1, H: 0
Devil Rays - B: 3, P: 0, I: 0, H: 1
Diamondbacks - B: 2, P: 0, I: 0, H: 0
Dodgers - B: 3, P: 0, I: 1, H: 0
Expos - B: 1, P: 1, I: 0, H: 0
Giants - B: 2, P: 3, I: 0, H: 0
Indians - B: 1, P: 1, I: 0, H: 0
Mariners - B: 8, P: 6, I: 0, H: 0
Marlins - B: 4, P: 0, I: 0, H: 0
Mets - B: 8, P: 3, I: 1, H: 0
Orioles - B: 6, P: 1, I: 0, H: 0
Padres - B: 4, P: 4, I: 1, H: 0
Phillies - B: 3, P: 3, I: 1, H: 0
Pirates - B: 6, P: 3, I: 0, H: 0
Rangers - B: 2, P: 3, I: 1, H: 0
Red Sox - B: 0, P: 0, I: 2, H: 1
Reds - B: 5, P: 1, I: 0, H: 0
Rockies - B: 0, P: 2, I: 1, H: 0
Royals - B: 3, P: 0, I: 0, H: 0
Tigers - B: 2, P: 0, I: 0, H: 0
Twins - B: 8, P: 3, I: 0, H: 0
White Sox - B: 6, P: 2, I: 0, H: 0
Yankees - B: 6, P: 5, I: 1, H: 0

5 comments:

Nathan said...

Wow, that is a super fun break. There's a ton of cool stuff in that set.

The Mark Ellis picture is cool, I'll have to send it over to BA Benny - I'm sure it would fit nicely into his American flag collection.

hiflew said...

Yeah I enjoyed busting that one quite a bit. I think 2004 is even better though with the inserts.

Spiegel83 said...

That Shawn Green is a cool insert. Thanks for pulling it for me.

flywheels said...

The Bazooka sets were always fun IMO. Glad to see my team landed a few of the comic cards!

Dawgbones said...

Kind of weird how the Sox came up short, at least until the hit, that bat card is cool and I'll really enjoy adding it to my collection. Neat (yes, I use that word as well) break so far, and yes, no real complaints from me either...