A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #5 Cincinnati Reds Part 1


Coming in at #5 is the major league franchise that is located closest to me, the Cincinnati Reds.  Most of my family are hardcore Reds fans from the days of the Big Red Machine (about 10 years before my time) and beyond.  By osmosis, I have absorbed some of this fandom, but I can honestly say it never fully took hold.  The Reds are also the team that I could see taking the biggest tumble in the next few years, because I really don't like Cueto or Phillips and they seem to be the current faces of the franchise along with Votto and Bruce (both of whom I am indifferent toward).  However, for now the Reds will keep a place among my top 5 favorite teams. 


If I were a Reds fan...

Title of the blog - Crimson, Scarlet, Burgundy, and Magenta

Favorite Player (current) - Scott Rolen

Favorite Player (all time) - Eric Davis / Dave Parker (tie)

Least Favorite Player (current) - Johnny Cueto

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Brandon Phillips (I know he is current, but both these guys deserve disdain)


2012 Cincinnati Reds Total Cards = 39 (tied for the fewest with 1 other club)









The Reds also bring us the 2nd person that was also featured in 1986 Topps, Dusty Baker.  Here is the side-by-side of Dusty.


With that shown, I will now ask another trivia question.  I mentioned earlier that there are 14 current managers that had cards in 1986 Topps along with 24 other managers in the original set (2 overlapped).  Since you are starting with at least 38, my question is, how many people featured in 1986 Topps have been managers in the major leagues at since 1985 (as of Nov. 14, 2012)?

Tune in tomorrow to find out the answer along with seeing one photo that I consider to be among the greatest baseball card photos of all time.  Seriously, it is fantastic.

Thanx for reading.


1 comment:

Spiegel83 said...

I love this series that you are doing. Totally fun reads.

Matingly and Scoscia come to ming as having cards in that set.