A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #19 Philadelphia Phillies Part 2



In just about every set there is a certain team that seems to have the best cards from top to bottom.  In the 2012 Quarry Unlimited set, I anointed the A's as the team with the best cards top to bottom with the Royals a close second.  In this year's Quarry Unlimited set it was a toss up between these Phillies and once again the Royals.  After much consideration, I am going to have award the best team cards to the Phillies this year.  The Phillies have probably 10 cards that could be #1 on a team like the Orioles or the A's from this year.  They may not get the overall "card of the set," but I guarantee that AT LEAST two Phillies will make the top 10.  But that will be in a few weeks, for now let's just check out the second half of the 2013 Philadelphia Phillies.













My Top 5 Phillies Cards
1. Ben Revere
2. Ryan Howard
3. Erik Kratz
4. Michael Stutes
5. Carlos Ruiz


The Ben Revere card is not a card...it is art.  The perfect timing and perfect shadowing, you just can't get much better than that one in my opinion.  Even if the shadow is faked, it still looks cool.  The Ryan Howard would be #1 on probably 95% of the other teams and I almost made it #1 here.  The ground perspective combined with the beautiful stadium backdrop and the pose which just emits strength is a thing of beauty.  I really like the Erik Kratz card because of what it reminds me of.  I am reminded of the fact that a turkey will look up in the rain until it drowns for some reason.  That's one of those odd but true facts that sometimes just stick with you.  I like the Stutes card because usually you don't see that type of play at the plate card with a pitcher.  The pitcher play at the plate cards are usually not as head on as this one.  It works.  There were six other cards that could have easily been #5 including the Michael Young kissing the bat and the Freddy Galvis hugging second base among other.  I finally settled on the Carlos Ruiz because it's not often you get a photo of what looks like a double play starting at home.



Coming tomorrow - #20 New York Mets

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

While there have been a lot of great ones, I think that Revere is my favorite from the 2013 Quarry Unlimited set thus far. Tremendous, tremendous work.