A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #11 Atlanta Braves Part 2



Some of you may have noticed a little difference in some of the photos used for the 2013 Quarry Unlimited set.  In Part 1 of the Braves, Christian Bethancourt and Phil Gosselin both look a little odd.  The reason is than unlike 2012, I started using vidcaps for some of the more hard to find players.  I would rather everything be a nice quality photo from a professional sports photographer, but when a guy like Bethancourt doesn't play at all until the final game of the season and that a 1 pinch hit strikeout, then photos are naturally hard to come by.  The vidcaps are okay I think and they are definitely better than either the mug shots which I had to use in certain cases or especially no photo at all which thankfully I avoided again this year.  I realize vidcaps are an acceptable replacement in a free set such as mine, but would you be angry if you saw them in a Topps set?  While you ponder, let's check out the second half of the 2013 Atlanta Braves.













My Top 5 Braves Cards
1. Dan Uggla
2. Christian Bethancourt
3. Luis Avilan
4. Evan Gattis
5. Tyler Pastornicky

Quick how many of you think of Dan Uggla in that position?  I usually don't even think he is capable of good defense anymore, let alone having an acrobatic shot like this.  I mentioned earlier about the Bethancourt being a vidcap, but it is still a great card for one reason, the elderly cowboy in yellow working the camera.  What a great character.  The Avilan is yet another good throwback.  This one is from the Negro Leagues, the Atlanta Black Crackers to be specific.  What's not to love about the Gattis card?  You have full catcher's gear, plus an action shot, plus the great rookie cup.  It is a nice combo.  Finally I chose the Pastornicky in spot #5 simply because of the color of the card.  The green in the background pairs well with the blue uniform which contrasts nicely with the orange border.  Just a nice visual in general.



Coming tomorrow - #12 Detroit Tigers

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

night owl said...

If there was a card for every player who appeared in a game, the image could be a drawing and I wouldn't care.

OK, I would care, but I'd get over it quickly. BRING BACK TOPPS TOTAL!

(Yeah, yeah, I know it's never coming back)