A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Monday, December 16, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #16 Houston Astros Part 1



During last year's Houston Astros write up, I assumed that I would continue to think very little of the Astros.  While that is true for the most part, I could see myself eventually rooting for the Astros and there is only one reason for it, their new division.  There is no stand out favorite for me in the AL West.  Right now the Mariners are ranked highest on my list, but their spot could be in jeopardy since they have added Robbie Cano, so any of the AL West teams could become my new favorite in the next couple of years.  The Astros are probably set up to make the jump better than the others just because I know them well from their NL days.  Then again, they are the Rockies interleague rival, but that is just because no other team fit with Colorado.  I never considered the Astros rivals when they were in the NL, so why should I consider them rivals in the AL.  Who knows?  I guess a lot of it will depend on how Houston plays and who plays for them.  They got a good start by stealing Dexter Fowler.  At least now there is a guaranteed likable Astro for the foreseeable future.  Let's take a look at some trivia.



ASTROS TEAM TRIVIA

# of players to play in a Astros game (1993-2013) - 400

# of those players to have a Astros card (as of today) - 283

% of Astros players to appear on a Astros card - 70.8%

Big names left out - Jose Cruz Jr., Charlie Hayes, Gregg Olson

# of new Astros in 2013 - 29

Total # of Astros in 2013 - 50

position on last year's list --   #19    =  UP 3



Let's take a look at the first half of the 2013 Houston Astros with the team card leading the way.















I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: