A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #14 Texas Rangers Part 2



I couldn't think of a second write up for the Rangers today, so I'll confess to a little bit of laziness instead.  After finally completing all of the team name templates and player name alphabets, my next job was to work on the position flags.  You may not have noticed this, because I didn't until I started trying to recreate it, but the font for both the team name and the position are both tilted.  It was extremely time intensive to replicate the tilted lettering on the computer, but it was definitely worth it for the team names because without that being identical there is no set.  However, I did cheat a little bit when it came to the flags.  Rather than going through and carefully tracing each letter, I simply let the mouse quickly do the work.  After I got that out of the way back in early season, I did manage to forget about one thing regarding position flags though, multiple position players.  1977 Topps included the notations for SS-2B, 1B-OF, DH-C and many other combinations that we all know so well.  Well, I forgot about them and by the time I realized I forgot them, I didn't have time to fix them.  No one had mentioned it, but I know some of you hardcore 70's guys noticed it, so I thought I would just admit that I knew there was an elephant in the room.  I'm not kicking myself or anything like that, but my OCD wouldn't have it any other way.  Let's go ahead and take a look at the second half of the 2013 Texas Rangers.













My Top 5 Rangers Cards
1. A.J. Pierzynski
2. Elvis Andrus
3. Derek Holland
4. Cory Burns
5. Alex Rios


I love the Pierzynski card mainly because you almost see a card of a catcher sliding into a base, let alone sliding back into a base.  I think he is going back to first, but I am not completely sure.  The Andrus is more of a conventional basepaths shot.  I like the knee at the back of the head though, that coupled with the running face paint makes it look like Andrus is coming off the top rope in a wrestling ring.  The Holland is a fantastic shot of an AL pitcher at batting practice.  It is really reminiscent of a 1986 Topps photo, which might sound like an insult, but around here it is the ultimate compliment.  The Burns is one of those great "whoops" moments that I have always figured would be captured on my baseball card, were I ever to get one.  Lastly, we have the Alex Rios salute.  I believe that photo is from his first game as a Ranger, but I may be mistaken.



Coming tomorrow - #15 Oakland A's


Thanx for reading.

No comments: