A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Group Break Swag from Cardboard Collections

I got into the January February group break over at Cardboard Collections with my usual pick of the Rockies (yay) and my randomized pick of the Mariners (boo).  Colbey busted a 2012 Topps jumbo box and a 2009 Topps Ticket to Stardom hobby box.  Let's take a look at the highlights of my loot.

First up the entire team set from 2012 Topps Series 1 (excluding the Helton active leaders cards)

A trio of young pitchers that will hopefully be leading the Rockies throughout the 2010s.  The Nicasio and Brothers are kind of ordinary photos.  The Chacin is different, but in my opinion not good different.  Sure it gives you an in depth "in the game" sort of look, but the subject of the card takes up only 25% (if that) of the space available.  If this card was a portrait-style card I think it would be a little better, but probably not much.

Here we have three players that were on the 2011 Colorado roster and should be on the 2012 roster (well maybe not in Young's case).  These are probably my three favorite Rockies cards in the team set with the Young pacing a distant third.  I had high hopes for a great looking Eric Young card after having a fantastic 2010 Topps card and the BEST card in the 2011 Topps set, but for his high standards the card is rather pedestrian (but still not bad).  The Fowler is my favorite Rockies card, but more by default than anything.

Here is the Rockies trio of rookies that will hopefully be making some noise this year.  Rosario will probably begin the year either backing up Ramon Hernandez or in AAA.  Pacheco could also be backing up Hernandez or be the utility infielder or both.   Pomeranz will be battling for a position in the starting rotation with about 15 others.  My bet is he starts in the minors, but is up by May at the latest.

Here are four guys that are no longer Rockies.  I am happy that Topps let them have a final Rockies card rather than photoshopping.  Well, Hammel and Smith were traded too late, but Iannetta and Wigginton were moves made in early December and they could have been shopped.  Like I said I'm glad they weren't.  The Iannetta is an interesting card that could have been fantastic as a landscape card.  As a portrait card, too much of the story has been missed.


These are the two inserts I picked up.  Like everyone else, I love the 87 minis.  I just can't say enough good things about how these look.  The Timeless Talents is what it is.  The same thing as Legendary Lineage and Dynamic Duos...boring.

Speaking of Tulo, this is the only card I needed out of the Ticket to Stardom box.  If you look very closely you can see that this is a perforated parallel.  Man, I'm glad this set was a one and done.  Although it did get me something cool as you will soon see.


But before I show you the coolness I got, here are the Mariners highlights.  There wasn't much in the Mariners pile (I did get a Pineda and Ackley base but I don't care about either of them), but I did like this photo with the throwback M's uniform.  Does it make you old when you remember the original time period of a throwback uniform?

I did get both Pineda and Ackley in the Gold Futures insert set as well.  I don't like this set at all and not just because there aren't any Rockies in it.  But really couldn't they have put one of the above Rockies rookies in this set?  But I long ago realized Topps doesn't care about the Rockies.  But I digress. 



Here is my big totally unexpected hit of the break.

From the 2009 Ticket to Stardom box, I received a ticket/jersey relic of third baseman Yulieski Gourriel #'d 50/110.  You may be asking yourself 'Who?'  Don't feel bad I did the same thing, but Google helped me much like it might help you one day.  Gourriel is currently considered the best player remaining in Cuba now that Yoenis Cespedes is in America.  So maybe in a couple of years, there will be a bidding war for this guy and my card will be quite in demand.  Even if that is not the case, it is still a pretty cool card.

Thanks again Colbey for another great break.

No comments: