A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Monday, January 20, 2014

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #29 San Francisco Giants Part 1



Here we come to last year's bottom team on this countdown, the San Francisco Giants.  They didn't rise due to me liking them more, they only rose because another team sunk even lower into the abyss of my fandom.  The Giants are horrible, but after doing the research for all of the team trivia, I learned something new.  They seemed to have been a haven for former Rockies greats.  Of course I knew Ellis Burks and Marco Scutaro were Giants because Colorado traded them there.  I also remembered Andres Galarraga played there toward the end of his career because I own a bat card of him with the Giants (for trade, BTW).  From this project, I learned that Eric Young, Tom Goodwin, Jeffrey Hammonds, Neifi Perez, and Jamey Wright all spent a little time with the Giants after they departed Colorado.  Charlie Hayes also returned to the Giants near the end of his career.  It saddens me a bit that so many of my favorite Rockies ended up playing for a rival, but I guess that is how the Red Sox fans feel seeing so many former Sox in Yankee pinstripes.  Now that I know so many former Rockies spent time in San Francisco, does that mean my hatred for the Giants has softened?  No of course not.  No matter how many cubes of sugar you put into a bucket of crap...it is still not worth eating.  While you chew on that, let's check out some team trivia.



GIANTS TEAM TRIVIA

# of players to play in a Giants game (1993-2013) - 385

# of those players to have a Giants card (as of today) - 318

% of Giants players to appear on a Giants card - 82.6%

Big names left out - Rene Arocha, Jim Deshaies, Xavier Nady

# of new Giants in 2013 - 16

Total # of Giants in 2013 - 44

position on last year's list --   #30    =  UP 1



Let's take a look at the first half of the 2013 San Francisco Giants with the team card leading the way.












I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: