A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #23 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Part 2



After reviewing the Angels 2013 roster, I am left with a nagging question regarding fandom in modern baseball that I first remember hearing in a Seinfeld I think.  Instead of cheering for baseball teams, we are really cheering for laundry.  The reason I bring this up is because there are 4 former Rockies (including 3 former starters) on the Angels.  I love the fact that Brad Hawpe was able to make a slight comeback this year, but it was more of a nostalgia feeling instead of actually cheering for him.  This is why I appreciate guys such as Todd Helton, Derek Jeter, Jimmy Rollins, and Mariano Rivera that spend their entire career in one uniform, but at least two of them have already retired and the others probably aren't far behind.  I guess there are going to be guys like Tulo, Clayton Kershaw, David Wright, Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, and Joey Votto that could be in that category in the future, but it's increasingly unlikely.  Tulo was involved in trade rumors this offseason, Wright and King Felix are likely to leave as free agents in a couple of years, and who knows about the rest.  I realize that Pandora's box is already open regarding free agency, but I can't help but wax a little nostalgic for the good old days of cheering for my team and not just my uniform.  Let's take a look at the second half of the 2013 Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.













My Top 5 Angels Cards
1. Jered Weaver
2. Erick Aybar
3. Brendan Harris
4. Kole Calhoun
5. Mike Trout

I love a good complaining photo and the Jered Weaver is a perfect example of a complaint.  I guess he is arguing a play at the plate after a wild pitch based on the positioning of the catcher.  The Erick Aybar double dip card showcases both entertainment value and impressive flexibility.  Nice combo.  The Brendan Harris is all about the background of Angel Stadium.  The interplay of colors is just fantastic on that card.  The Kole Calhoun card features the Angels uniform from back when I liked them, the mid 80's California Angels.  It also has a nice darkness quality to it.  Finally, I couldn't go by without mentioning the fantastic expression on Mike Trout's face.  He looks like the perfect cross of a kid on Christmas morning and a demented clown.



Coming tomorrow - #24 Miami Marlins

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I really like the "complaining" shot on the Weaver as well.