A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #25 Washington Nationals Part 2



The Montreal Expos originally appeared in 1977 Topps and shared the color scheme of red/green/blue with the Boston Red Sox.  Last year, I was faced with the same conundrum because the Expos also appeared in 1986 Topps.  I decided to make an all new card template for the Nationals, in effect treating them like an expansion team.  I figured that since it worked so well last year, I would go the route this year.  So instead of giving them the old Expos colors, I treated them just like the Marlins, Rays, Diamondbacks, and Rockies and randomly assigned an available pairing.  I even went to random.org.  The Rockies ended up with the old Expos color scheme and the Nationals were paired with the old Brewers color scheme which I flipped to the Astros since they changed leagues.  I could have paired up the colors to more closely match team colors, but I don't think that fit better with some of the original strange color combinations of the 1977 set.  While you ponder my decision, let's finish up the second half of the 2013 Washington Nationals.












My Top 5 Nationals Cards
1. Gio Gonzalez
2. Denard Span
3. Ryan Zimmerman
4. Anthony Rendon
5. Jeff Kobernus


I don't think I have ever seen a larger award on a card than that of Gio Gonzalez.  It is the Warren Spahn Award for those of you that are curious.  I really like the "blackout" interview shot of Denard Span as well.  It is really reminiscent of those Wal Mart parallels from a couple of years back.  The Ryan Zimmerman is just a little bit funny.  I like the mysterious tag coming in from off-card.  Sure it doesn't tell the whole story, but it is amusing.  I will NEVER not enjoy seeing a bubble blown on a baseball card like the Rendon.  Baseball cards and bubble gum just go together like macaroni and cheese.  Sure you can have macaroni and cheese separately, but they are both so much better together.  Finally that brings us to the Kobernus card.  There is not much special about this ordinary pop out card until you look in the stands.  I really like the "dueling fans" one with a Nats jersey and one with a Phillies jersey each hoping for an opposite result.


Coming tomorrow - #26 New York Yankees

Thanx for reading.

No comments: