A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday's Afternoon Blaster - 2007 UD Future Stars Baseball

Welcome to this week's Sunday Afternoon Blaster.  Following last week's relatively blase offering, I was a tad hesitant to get another discount blaster.  But 50% off is quite tempting, so I picked up a blaster of 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars.  I had gotten a handful of these cards in a few repacks from some point in the past, but hadn't bought these specifically.  There are 3 Rockies in the team base set that I am shooting for, as well as a few inserts.


Quick format change: Card coloration is it's availability

white = I'm keeping it
green = available for trade
red = already claimed/traded

Today's blaster is 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars.  9 four card packs (nothing guaranteed)


On with the show.

Pack one
76 Zach Duke - Pirates
93 Michael Young - Rangers
60 David Wright - Mets
26 Victor Martinez - Indians

Pack two
1 Brandon Webb - Diamondbacks
86 Albert Pujols - Cardinals
30 Matt Holliday - Rockies
46 Jered Weaver - Angels

Pack three
52 Prince Fielder - Brewers
69 Nick Swisher - Athletics
97 Vernon Wells - Blue Jays
12 Manny Ramirez - Red Sox

Pack four
59 Jose Reyes - Mets
RD-MB- Rookie Dated Debuts Michael Bourn - Phillies 865/999
63 Derek Jeter - Yankees
80 Ray Durham - Giants

Pack five
8 Miguel Tejada - Orioles
25 Travis Hafner - Indians
29 Todd Helton - Rockies
9 Nick Markakis - Orioles

Pack six
42 Gil Meche - Royals (lost a battle with the packing machine)
77 Greg Maddux - Padres
74 Jason Bay - Pirates
57 Torii Hunter - Twins

Pack seven
94 Mark Teixeira - Rangers
61 Carlos Delgado - Mets
40 Roy Oswalt - Astros
23 Adam Dunn - Reds

Pack eight
43 Emil Brown - Royals
44 Mark Teahan - Royals
6 Jeff Francoeur - Braves
91 Rocco Baldelli - Devil Rays

Pack nine
27 Grady Sizemore - Indians
10 Brian Roberts - Orioles
7 John Smoltz - Braves
92 Scott Kazmir - Devil Rays









IMPRESSIONS
Design:  B-
Kind of a fun Tetrisy design, but rather basic.  For what it is, a standalone small set of stars and rookies, this design is passable but not anything outstanding.  I am going to bump up what would a C+ because of the insert design.  It looks a little busy, but in person these cards look great.

Inserts / Hits: C+
Only 1 insert in this blaster, but it was a 2010 All Star serially numbered to 999, so not bad.  Plus the checklist for the Rookie Dated Debuts give the potential for much bigger names.  Cal Ripken Jr, Ken Griffey Jr, and Derek Jeter are in it as well as rookies Josh Hamilton and Troy Tulowitzki among others.

Value: B
$9.98 for a blaster isn't a bad deal at all and there are several more at my Wal Mart.  I already had 16 cards from this set and of the 35 base cards I got 0! duplicates, which is quite amazing for a 100 count base set.

Rox in the Box: 2
Not bad, I got two of the three Rockies out of this blaster (missed Garrett Atkins).  I am going to use them for the set, so I will still need all three for my Rockie binder.  Correction, I have the Matt Holliday in my Rockies binder.

Will I Collect This Set: A-
Since I now have over half the base set, why not?  I will probably pick up one more blaster and hope to get within 15-20 from completion

Overall: B
For you collectors looking for a hit in every box, this probably isn't the set for you.  But for those of you that want a decent looking set with most of the stars of 2006 and a good balanced mix of teams, this could be a good choice.

1 comment:

CamHartman said...

Dude I reaaallllyyyy need that Bourn! Email me, I have cool Rockies cards I think you will be interested in.