A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Rockie Trading Post #12 - Special Guest Scott from Scott Crawford on Cards

Welcome to the 12th episode of The Rockie Trading Post.  Tonight's special guest is Scott from Scott Crawford on Cards.  I should have named my blog after myself, but I am operating under the delusion that someone will pick up the reins after my future demise.  Who knows it may catch on.  Anyway, Scott has an ambitious collection to say the least.  He has a LOT of player collections going on.  I respect that.  Once I could finally get through the snow, I sent him a few gold cards and an Adam Dunn mini from The Budget eBay Collector along with about 75 or so cards from the overproduction era to fill some slots in his player collections.  Here are the highlights of the stack he sent me.

The star of this trade is this 2009 Topps Chrome Dexter Fowler Gold Refractor Rookie Card (wow that's a mouthful...that's what she said).  OK, I feel bad now for making that joke.  Back to the card, it is serial numbered 23/50 making it one of the rarer cards in my Rockie collection.  I do love that 2009 design and one more Fowler rookie never hurts anyone.

Next up is a 2006 Topps '52 Rookies Chrome Alberto Arias serially numbered 0625/1952.  Honestly, I don't remember this guy.  After looking him up he pitched in relief for a total of 16 games in 2007-08 for the Rockies before being waived and picked up by Houston.  Apparently, he was a decent reliever for the Astros in 2009, but he missed the 2010 season due to injury.


Here we have a couple of early Todd Helton cards.  After like 1991 I have no concept on what is actually a true rookie card, so I'll just call them early.  The 1997 Pinnacle show his familiar pose of batting gloves hanging out of his back pocket.  The 1999 Fleer is a subset that actually got it right.  Todd was the franchise for the next 10 years.  Luckily it worked out better for the Rockies than the A's with Ben Grieve as their Franchise Future in that set


Up next is a card that the scan just doesn't do justice to.  For those of you that haven't seen this set, the 1999 Fleer Brilliants Larry Walker has a complete mirrored background.  It is a beautiful card as a side set, but I like the natural backgrounds for the flagship sets.  The 2008 Topps Luis Vizcaino is being shown for one reason alone.  The necklace just brought back so many memories of 1980s stars.


 Finally, we have a couple of Rockies from the 1994 Topps Gold parallel set.  Topps Gold was coming out just as I was leaving the hobby the first time, but I did like it.  I remember the 1992s were almost impossible to pull, but 1993 (I think) and 1994 were one per pack.  At the time these were near the top of card technology so I will always like them a little.


Thanks again Scott for the trade and I hope your cards have reached you safely.  Check out his blog here and enjoy your read.  Tune in next time on The Rockie Trading Post for a very special episode, our first two-part episode featuring more parallels than a high school geometry class.  Until then, we are officially signed off.

1 comment:

Derek Hill said...

Hey. I have a a 2010 Bowman Chrome purple refractor of Chris Nelson on my latest tradebait post, didn't know if you'd be interested in checking it out.
tomahawkchopping.blogspot.com

Thanks!