A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Friday, December 21, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #21 Philadelphia Phillies Part 1



Leading off the "evil third," is a team that has risen in their one down year, the Philadelphia Phillies.  Growing up, I never had a problem with the Phillies.  In fact, my great grandfather once played in the Phillies' system, so they were always a team on my radar.  The Phillies had their greatest success when I was growing up a few years before I started following the game closely.  By the time, I was really getting interested the sport, both Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton were winding down their Hall of Fame careers and the Phillies were not a very good team.  Throughout the remainder of my childhood the Phillies were primarily bad, save the World Series appearance in 1993, and I just didn't care about them anymore.  Now, the Phillies are a juggernaut and eliminated the Rockies in one of their three playoff appearances in 2009.  That alone caused me to drop the Phils to "evil status."  Should they lose their winning ways, I could see the Phillies moving quickly back up this list.


If I were a Phillies fan...

Title of the blog - The Phantastic Phightin' Phils

Favorite Player (current) - Juan Pierre

Favorite Player (all time) - Steve Carlton

Least Favorite Player (current) - Jimmy Rollins

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Mitch Williams


2012 Philadelphia Phillies Total Cards = 50











The Phillies hold a record that is impossible to be broken before 2037.  They hold record for the longest streak of never having won the World Series.  The Cubs losing streak is longer, but they have won a Series in the past.  The Phillies went their first 77 years without winning a title before finally winning the championship in 1980.  Currently the closest team to breaking that record is the Texas Rangers who have not won in 52 years of existence.  I would be very surprised if the Rangers didn't win at least one in the next 25 years.  Following the Rangers are the Astros (51), Padres (44), Brewers (44), Nationals (44), Mariners (36), Rockies (20), and Rays (15).  Do you think any of these eight franchises will break the Phillies record?  If I was forced to pick one, I would probably pick the Padres.  What do you think?

Thanx for reading.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Very nicely done!

night owl said...

I'd have to agree on the Padres.