A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, December 8, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #15 Texas Rangers Part 2



Now that we are discussing the Texas Rangers, I would like to broach the subject of teams being named for an area instead of a city.  In some cases, such as Minnesota I think it is good because Minnesota rolls off the tongue better than Minneapolis.  Tampa Bay works for the Rays better than Sarasota or plain Tampa because neither of those cities is a well known quantity.  Other cases, such as the recently renamed Miami Marlins, I prefer the city modifier to the state name.  Texas is a little strange because Dallas (yes I know they play in Arlington, but it's still Dallas) is a both a known quantity and easy to say.  However, the nickname Rangers wouldn't work as well with Dallas.  Ten years ago, before the Rangers became good, I would have probably said change the name.  Now that they have pretty much carved their identity into the sports landscape, sticking with the name is probably the best choice.  Here is the second half of the 2012 Texas Rangers.










My Top 5 Rangers Cards
1. Luis Hernandez
2. Mitch Moreland
3. Colby Lewis
4. Derek Holland
5. Elvis Andrus

The Hernandez card ties together two good elements of a photo for me, bubble blowing and rain.  They way they combine just works for me.  The attempted pick off throw to first is one of my least favorite plays when watching a game, but I don't remember it being captured on card like with the Moreland very much.  The Colby Lewis is another of those "behind the curtain" type shots.  I have seen the "pitcher wrap" shot before, but I think it still works.  Derek Holland falls into the category of I love throwbacks.  Looking at that photo instantly brings up an image of Gaylord Perry or Fergie Jenkins for me.  Finally, the Andrus card is a bit dull, but does have some action so I will put it in 5th.


The Rangers also bring us another manager that appeared in 1986 Topps, Ron Washington.  Here is the side-by-side comparison with one of my favorite still photo cards from 1986 Topps.  Man, he was hairy.


And with that the first half of the 2012 Quarry Unlimited set is in the books.  Join me again on Monday when I showcase the team that I consider to have the best photographs top to bottom.

Thanx for reading.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Digging that Robbie Ross card. Good action shot, and the high socks look good w/the rest of the card.

Play at the Plate said...

Sweet Rangers...love all of them.