A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Mountains to Climb - A Review


At this time of year, it is only natural for the media to reflect on the year that was.  I am going to do that as well.  At the beginning of the year, I outlined a group of collecting and/or blog-related goals for the year 2012 called Mountains to Climb in 2012.  I figured today would be a great day to show my work, so to speak.  I will score myself in the same manner as I did in 2011, on a 10 point scale.  Just to end the suspense, I did not as well as my 85% score in 2011.  However, read along and see how close I came.



ROCKIES GOALS

1. Complete the Rockies team set in every flagship Topps set (1993-2012).

Status - COMPLETE (well, sort of)

This was my biggest goal of the year, and I finally got it finished in late October when I was sent card #696 from 2003 Topps.  Who would have thought a Todd Helton All Star card would be so hard to track down?  The caveat of  "well, sort of" refers to my still missing 3 cards from 2002 Topps Traded.  I didn't include the Traded and Update sets in the original goal language, but to be honest I intended them to be included.  To be fair in the other direction, the three I am missing from that set (#35 Kent Mercker, #67 Gabe Kapler, #97 Todd Zeile) are all from the short printed first 100 cards.  Those short prints are RIDICULOUS to track down, but I did find 3 of the 6 Rockies.

Final Score - 10/10


2. Have 100 cards of 15 different Rockies players.

Status - INCOMPLETE

I was really trying to get this one finished, but came up a bit short.  At the beginning of the year, I started with 100 cards of only Todd Helton, Larry Walker, and Troy Tulowitzki.  At the end of the year, I finished with 100 cards of 10 different players with Dexter Fowler and Brad Hawpe close behind at 98 and 96 respectively.  I also added an additional 100 cards to the Helton, Walker, and Tulo collections for whatever that is worth.  My #15 guy was at 39 in January.  Currently, my #15 guys (Preston Wilson and Jason Jennings) are at 69. 

Final Score - 7/10


3. Successfully complete a full rainbow with one of my 1/1s.

Status - UNCHANGED

I never really got going on this one.  Call it lack of funds or working on other goals.  I will be making this a goal for 2013.

Final Score - 0/10


4. Start player collections for Rockies managers: Don Baylor, Jim Leyland, Buddy Bell, Clint Hurdle, Jim Tracy 

Status - RELATIVELY UNCHANGED
 
Another goal that never really got off the ground in 2012 was the player collections of all the Rockies managers.  I pulled out a few cards, but never got any checklists made or anything else.  I will continue this goal with the newest addition of Walt Weiss in 2013.

Final Score - 2/10


OTHER COLLECTION GOALS

5. Start and get to (at least) 75% complete of 1974 Topps set.

Status - INCOMPLETE

I started out okay on this goal until my job issues came about.  I did start the set and I accumulated 119 of the 678 cards in the set (including major variations) for around 18%.  So I didn't get to my pie-in-the-sky goal of 75%, but I do currently have my biggest chunk of any pre-1983 set and a realist goal of completing it in the next year or two.  I am still happy with my progress.

Final score - 5/10

 
6. Complete Rookie Cup collection from 1980-2012.

Status - INCOMPLETE

I figured this one would be a lot easier to finish than it was.  I still need a couple of big one such as the 1982 Cal Ripken and the 2002 Albert Pujols, but I also need relatively mundane ones such as 1983 Tom Brunansky and 2000 Chris Singleton.  Out of the 33 years that were in my original goal, 20 are complete with another 6 within 1 card of completion.  So all in all, I didn't do that bad with this one.

Final score - 7/10


7. Get Tony Delk collection to over 150 cards.

Status - UNCHANGED

This is another one that I just didn't get around to working on in 2012.  My Kentucky basketball collection is what originally got me back into cards in 2008, but has taken a back seat to my Rockies collection over the last 2-3 years.  I did manage to get most of my checklists updated and accurate with the Beckett website, so I did do a little something.

Final score - 1/10


8. Finish the following sets: 1984 Topps, 1986 Fleer, 1987 Donruss, 1988 Fleer, 1989 Donruss, 1991 Donruss, 1992 Donruss, 1992 Score, 2005 Topps Rookie Cup base set, 2008 Topps Heritage.

Status - INCOMPLETE

This is a goal that looks to be unchanged, because technically I have none of these 10 sets completed.  However, I did take a big chunk out of most of them including getting 89 Donruss down to a single card.  I am disappointed that none of them are finally off of my things to do list, but each of them is closer.  I will continue this goal in 2013.

Final score - 0/10 (I still didn't complete any of the 10)


BLOG GOALS
 
9. Get to 500 total posts by the end of the year.

Status - CAME UP SHORT

This post is a nice round number, but it is only post #400.  I came up 100 short and the biggest factors were the two months I spent without internet access and my one month absence due to my father's passing.    With those three months, at an average of one a day, I would have been very close and probably would have made it.  I am still very proud to be at 400 posts considering I rarely post more than once a day and most of my posts are relatively large. 

Final score - 8/10


10. Hold 4 group breaks throughout the year.

Status - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

This goal is the only one of my goals that I didn't work on that I do not plan to continue in 2013.  I still may run a group break at some point in the next year, maybe even more than one, but it isn't necessarily a goal.  There are several other blogs that are doing the group break thing right now, so you guys still have plenty of choices.

Final score - 0/10


Final thoughts
Last December when I made these goals, I did not anticipate how personally and financially difficult this year would be.  I intended for the goals to be extremely challenging and they were.  I am very happy to now own every Rockies card in the Topps flagship set along with every card I have accumulated.  I am not currently where I intended to be at this time last year, but without down years you couldn't have great years.  I'll be back and better than ever in 2013.  I will have my 2013 goals ready this time next Sunday.

Final score - 40/100
By god, I am STILL happy.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: