A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #17 Chicago White Sox Part 2



Following the team with perhaps the best photos top to bottom in the set is tough enough, but the White Sox have arguably the worst photos top to bottom in the set.  It's nothing I have against the team, I just didn't find anything good for them.  So in addition to some teams being cardogenic, there are also some teams that might be uncardogenic.  Chicago doesn't go as far as closed eyes or creepy smiles, but mundane would be the best description I can think of.  I think of my Rockies in 2012 Topps as fairly uncardogenic.  Does your favorite team have a set that has bad photos comparable to the rest of the set?  While you search your collection, take a look at the second half of the surprisingly good 2012 Chicago White Sox.











My Top 5 White Sox Cards
1. Adam Dunn
2. Jake Peavy
3. Ray Olmedo
4. Gordon Beckham
5. Kosuke Fukudome

As I said earlier, the White Sox have possibly the least interesting photos as a whole in the entire set.  However, the Adam Dunn is still a cool photo.  You can't see a bubble being blown on a card and not smile a little.  Jake Peavy is interesting for the reaction and the background.  Nice timing on the photo.  The Ray Olmedo would have probably been #1 if it wasn't for the red uniform.  I understand why some like it, but I don't.  The background on the Gordon Beckham card meshes well with his uniform.  I'll end with the probable final card of the disappointing American career of Kosuke Fukudome.  The fact that the photo was taken in Wrigley is full of irony.

Be sure to come back tomorrow with team #18 and another team color change.  This one is the one I felt strongest about changing so it should go over well.

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

The Dunn was probably my favorite as well. I'll always have a weakness for Cubs/Sox interleague shots, so that Viciedo is probably #2 on my list.

I really hope Topps uses some shots with the '70s Sox throwbacks in 2013. Those red pinstripes make any card a hundred times better.