A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #20 New York Mets Part 2



New York City has two teams in each of the 4 major sports (assuming hockey still counts) and I don't like any of them.  It's nothing I have against the city, which is a beautiful, albeit overexposed, city.  But that is the key word...overexposure.  Whether it be ESPN or Yahoo Sports or Fox Sports or anything else, New York teams are inevitably talked about too much. Of the 8 teams, I would say the Mets are probably on the top of my New York sports teams list.  Considering they are 20th on this list, that's not saying much about the others.  Is there a city in which you really don't like any of the teams that play there?  I could see both Boston and LA being yes for me, but not Chicago or Detroit.  While you ponder that, let's take a look at the second half of the 2012 New York Mets.











My Top 5 Mets Cards
1. Tim Byrdak
2. Josh Thole
3. Dillon Gee
4. David Wright
5. Rob Johnson

The Tim Byrdak is one of my favorite cards in the entire set.  I will take night owl's comment that it was more clever than Topps as a compliment.  Although that is akin to saying you are nicer than a Nazi.  As far as the Josh Thole, who doesn't love a diving catcher card?  A Nazi, that's who (I'll stop now).  I like shots of pitchers doing anything other than pitching, which is why the Dillon Gee fielding shot is so high.  The David Wright is interesting primarily for the angle of the shot.  Change the angle to a home plate view and this is lackluster at best, but a side shot is a nice change of pace.  Finally the Rob Johnson is a good shot of bright colored catcher gear, but it's #5 on the list because of the good shot of the Gary Carter patch.  RIP Kid.


After today, only one third of the set is remaining which means the evil teams are coming.  I just noticed that neither the NL Central nor the AL Central will place a team in that group.  I will have to work harder in finding one of those teams to dislike.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: