A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #20 New York Mets Part 1



One team that is somewhat on the rise is my #20 team, the New York Mets.  I am nowhere close to becoming a Mets fan by any means, but I no longer despise them.  When I first started watching baseball I liked two teams, the Cardinals and the Reds.  Because of this, I also hated two teams, the Mets and the Dodgers.  Yes young folks, the Dodgers-Reds and Cardinals-Mets rivalries were two of the best of the 1980s.  Of course, those rivalries have since lapsed due to divisional realignment. The Dodgers are still my favorite team's rival, but I still can't quite get rid of the feeling that the Mets are also the bad guys.  I think it is starting to wane though, because now it just seems that the Mets don't matter that much.  Maybe a few years down the road will even let me sometimes cheer for New York's "other team."  Until that happens, let's take a look at some trivia along with the first half of the 2012 New York Mets.



If I were a Mets fan...

Title of the blog - Metropolitan Museum of Baseball

Favorite Player (current) - Omar Quintanilla

Favorite Player (all time) - Tom Seaver

Least Favorite Player (current) - David Wright

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Darryl Strawberry


2012 New York Mets Total Cards = 50












As you may have noticed, the Mets color is different from the original  in 1986 Topps.  The Mets fall into the category of teams I had no doubt I wanted to change because I thought the color was wrong in 1986.  That category also includes the Cubs and Tigers.  In case you forgot the original color of the Mets was orange as seen below.  The orange wasn't horrible, but it's by far the secondary color of the Mets both then and now.  I know I have a couple of Mets fans that are readers, what do you guys (and everyone else) think of the change?



Thanx for reading.


2 comments:

night owl said...

I liked it when Topps used secondary colors with teams. It added a kind of funky edge to the cards. But the blue change doesn't bother me.

I remember the Dodgers-Reds rivalry well. God, I hated the Reds. Still have nothing good to say about Rose and Morgan.

That Byrdak card is way too clever for anything that appeared in '86 Topps.

Nick said...

I absolutely love that Byrdak. Terrific photo selection!