A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #9 Milwaukee Brewers Part 2



This is the first, of three, color changes associated with the 2013 Quarry Unlimited set.  When I began this set, I explained that since the Brewers and Astros changed leagues, it made sense to me to swap their colors in 1977 Topps' league-based color scheme.  Last year when it was announced that the Astros were moving to the AL, I read from a lot of people that the Brewers should have been moved back instead.  I thought that at first too, but I have really come to accept the Brewers as a National League club.  When they were in the AL, they didn't really have any significant rivalries.  They were misplaced in the AL East for the majority of their existence and they were only in the AL Central for three seasons, not long enough to form a rivalry.  In the NL, the Brewers have already formed significant rivalries withe the Cubs, Cardinals, and Reds.  In short, the Brewers just belong in the National League now.  Let's take at the second half of the 2013 Milwaukee Brewers.










My Top 5 Brewers Cards
1. Scooter Gennett
2. Jean Segura
3. Martin Maldonado
4. Jonathan Lucroy
5. Logan Schafer

What can you say about the Gennett card?  It is a fantastic overhead shot featuring a broken bat and an ankle that physics says should be broken.  He wasn't hurt on the play, but that sure does look painful.  The Segura is the classic "jump over the runner" middle infielder shot that almost always succeeds.  The Maldonado is a very good close up "play at the plate" card .  The best part of that shot is Maldonado's eyes fixed on the runner.  Jonathan Lucroy gives us back-to-back catcher shots with his "lookie what I found" photo.  Finally, I knew I was going to pick a throwback for #5 and had to choose between Aoki, Lohse, and Schafer.  I eliminated Lohse right away since that is a bastardized Braves uniform.  I picked Schafer over Aoki because you get a much better view of the glove logo.  I do love that logo.



Coming Monday - #10 Cleveland Indians


Thanx for reading.


1 comment:

cynicalbuddha said...

Those cards look great. Although I think you forgot the Gennett card. I also like you included a lot of Brewers that probably will never actually get a real Topps card.