A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #8 Seattle Mariners Part 1


I mentioned yesterday that there were two things that reminded me of the 1977 Topps set, Mark Fidrych and the Reds All Star domination.  That was only partially true, there is a third.  The third reminder is the first appearance of the two new expansion teams, the Toronto Blue Jays and today's team the Seattle Mariners.  They are the two expansion teams that are closest to my age.  I was born in October 1976 and these two teams started their first offseason maneuverings around the same time.  Oddly though I have never really felt akin to them.  By the time I was starting to get into collecting, the Mariners seemed just as old as the Yankees and Red Sox and everyone else, meaning they had all been around my whole life.  As I have gotten older, I have developed an appreciation for the two teams that started at the same time as me, although as you can tell by the countdown, the Mariners are a bit higher on my appreciation.  Let's take a look at some Mariners trivia.


MARINERS TEAM TRIVIA

# of players to play in a Mariners game (1993-2013) - 441

# of those players to have a Mariners card (as of today) - 336

% of Mariners players to appear on a Mariners card - 76.2%

Big names left out - Wally Backman, Terry Mulholland, Dale Sveum

# of new Mariners in 2013 - 22

Total # of Mariners in 2013 - 47

position on last year's list --   #8    =  same


Let's take a look at the first half of the 2013 Seattle Mariners with the team card leading the way.













I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2.

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Love the "play at the plate" shot on the Blanco.

Thigpen does actually have at least one Mariners card, as far as I know.

http://img.comc.com/zoom/e8d0600c-1680-46eb-9fd0-b8c57bd881a9.jpg