A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #7 Cincinnati Reds Part 2


To me there are two really memorable things about the 1977 Topps set.  The first is obviously Mark Fidrych, but I'll talk about him later on.  The second is what I will discuss now.  That is the dominance of the Cincinnati Reds on All Star cards.  5 of the 9 National All Star starters were Cincinnati Reds and two others were selected as backups and those two (Perez and Griffey) could have easily been starters as well.  In the 2013 Quarry Unlimited set, there is no team with more than 3 members with an All Star banner so it is spread out a little bit more.  However, the Reds do still possess two starting All Stars in this set as well.  Let's now take a look at the second half of the 2013 Cincinnati Reds including those two new All Star banners.












My Top 5 Reds Cards
1. Brandon Phillips
2. Homer Bailey
3. Ryan Ludwick
4. Jay Bruce
5. Mat Latos

I mentioned yesterday that Brandon Phillips is the singular reason for my liking the Reds less this year.  Just to mock me, Phillips has also turned in the best card for the Reds.  Seriously though, it is a great "double dip" photo coupled with the great All Star banner.  The Homer Bailey is an interesting photo.  It shows the ceremony presenting him with the framed box score from his 2013 no hitter over the Giants.  I don't think I have ever seen a card with a photo like that.  The Ryan Ludwick reminds me of DeNiro in Taxi Driver with his 'You talkin' to me?' look at the umpire.  Diving catches have almost become cliche on cards, but this sliding backhanded grab has a good look to it.  Finally, we have the bunting Latos card.  You could make an entire set of bunting players and I would buy it.  I love bunting photos and this one is especially nice. 


Coming tomorrow - #8 Seattle Mariners

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

The world could use more Corky Miller cards.

Also, although it's not that similar to your terrific Homer Bailey card, my 1995 Score Kenny Rogers did come to mind.

Not sure if you've seen it before, but it shows his face on the scoreboard following his perfect game in 1994.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YThi15PbP_A/URGNGjLLyQI/AAAAAAAAOYU/k75nBxRs5U4/s1600/pop422.jpg