A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

2013 Quarry Unlimited - #3 Pittsburgh Pirates Part 2



I mentioned a couple of days ago that the Royals are often recipients of really good cards.  I believe this is because both their team and uniform colors work really well with a lot of designs.  The colors of the Pirates, on the other hand, don't work with a lot of designs.  In fact I think the Pirates really only have excellent cards with black bordered sets like 1971, 1986, and 2007 with a couple of notable exceptions (1973 Clemente for example).  For the most part though the yellow of the Pirates name and uniform tend to clash with white borders.  For this set, I would put the yellow team names as probably the worst overall and this Y/B/G color scheme shared with the Orioles as arguably the worst of the set.  It just doesn't appeal to me, but I still found a few great photos as a reminder of the Pirates magical season.  As you consider that, let's finish off the second half of the 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates.













My Top 5 Pirates Cards
1. Russell Martin
2. Michael McKenry
3. Tony Watson
4. Felix Pie
5. Andrew McCutchen

The Russell Martin adds more credence to the argument that you can't have a bad card that features both a player and a child.  It really is a sweet looking card.  Michael McKenry features one of my favorite parts of a catcher's photo, the flying mask.  Like many bloggers I have always loved catcher cards, but the ones with flying masks are the absolute best ones.  I had two choices with the throwback uniforms, but I think the Tony Watson is an aesthetically better card than the Francisco Liriano.  The Felix Pie is a great looking action shot of the former top prospect of the Cubs, but I am left asking myself one question.  Is that fan in the middle with the San Francisco sweatshirt on carrying a trophy?  If so, why? The fifth card was kind of tough because there were really only 4 cards that stood out to me.  In the end I went with the newest NL MVP heading for home in a pretty good background card.


Coming Monday - #4 Tampa Bay Rays

Thanx for reading.

4 comments:

Nick said...

I think my favorites of the Pirates is a tie between the Martin, Watson, and the Liriano you included in the last post. I love those old Grays throwbacks.

Jim said...

Nice to see the first of many John McDonald cards!

night owl said...

I'm the only person on earth who thinks this, judging by the sentiments on the blogs, but I never cared for throwback uniforms that weren't from the last 40-50 years. I'm instantly less interested in the card when I see those.

Unknown said...

I'm a fan of the Gaby Sanchez Zoltan symbol myself. That silly lil sign helped ignite fandom between the players and fans that lead to the magical season.