A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #29 Los Angeles Dodgers Part 1



At #29 on this countdown of my favorite teams is a team that spent the majority of my lifetime at the very bottom, the Los Angeles Dodgers.  I don't believe the Dodgers are evil incarnate (well at least for now), despite my harsh feelings toward them.  What made the Dodgers a villain to me is that every time I was rooting for a team, the Dodgers always seemed to be on the opposite side.  In the 1985 NLCS, I was rooting like crazy for the Cardinals because I loved their speed.  Who did they play?  The Dodgers, of course.  Throughout the 80's, the Dodgers were main rivals with the Reds and I sort of liked the Reds, so I didn't like the Dodgers.  When the Bash Brothers first got together in Oakland I was a fan and who was up against them in their first World Series, the damn Dodgers again.  Now that I am a Rockies fan it is obvious why I don't like the Dodgers, but I felt an explanation was warranted for why I didn't like them before the Rockies existed.  Let's take a look at some trivia followed up with the first half of the 2012 Los Angeles Dodgers.


If I were a Dodgers fan...

Title of the blog - Artful Dodgers

Favorite Player (current) - Jamey Wright (Rockies 2nd ever 1st round pick still going strong)

Favorite Player (all time) - Pee Wee Reese (In my world Fred McGriff was never a Dodger)

Least Favorite Player (current) - Shane Victorino

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Fernando Valenzuela


2012 Los Angeles Dodgers Total Cards = 51












The Dodgers obviously made one of the biggest splashes of the 2012 season by acquiring Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Nick Punto along with the $250 million owed to them.  The Blue Jays made a similar deal this offseason in acquiring several players from the Marlins.  My question is why would these teams think they are acquiring the players to put them over the top.  The Red Sox were in last place with all of these players and they obviously didn't get the Dodgers to the playoffs.  Are the Jays in for a similar awakening in 2013?  Can you mix the last place NL East team with the 4th place AL East team and get a pennant winner?  My answers to those questions would be yes and no.  I think both the Dodgers and especially the Jays will live to regret those deals.  What do you think of the two impactful trades now that some time has passed?


Thanx for reading.


3 comments:

night owl said...

Too early to tell. But Beckett and Crawford have won other years/with other teams and Gonzalez is better than both of them.

I'm trying to get over the fact that you rooted for the '70s/'80s Reds, mid-80s Cardinals and late '80s A's. I rooted against every last one of those teams and only part of that was because they played the Dodgers.

And not liking Fernando? That's seriously messed up.

gcrl said...

cool stuff. but are we sure that's luis cruz?

hiflew said...

@gcrl

I double checked my source and, according to the AP, that is Luis Cruz from the August 14th game against Pittsburgh.