A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #25 Miami Marlins Part 2



Yesterday I explained how much vitriol I have toward the Marlins organization; today I want to talk about one of their good points.  That would be the story of Adam Greenberg.  On its face, the story of Adam Greenberg has an "everybody gets a trophy" feel to it and normally I don't care for that.  However, Greenberg was not a kid who didn't once deserve an at bat in the big leagues, he got injured.  I am big believer in the "you shouldn't lose your job due to injury" philosophy and he deserved to have his name in the history books.  Although he did look fairly horrible in his one at bat, at least he got one.  It's a shame that his original team, the Cubs, didn't do this for Greenberg.  It's an even bigger shame that the Marlins threw away all the goodwill from this incident less than two months later.  Here is the second half of the 2012 Miami Marlins.











My Top 5 Marlins Cards
1. Kevin Mattison
2. Nick Green
3. Hanley Ramirez
4. Gorkys Hernandez
5. Adam Greenberg

I absolutely love that Kevin Mattison card...the guy looks like a Scooby Doo villain.  The Nick Green card is the best as far as legit baseball photos.  I don't recall ever seeing a backhanded diving stop like that.  The Hanley Ramirez is a really cool walk off shot.  It looks he is getting ready to become the Hulk.  The overhead view is sweet on the Hernandez missed bunt card.  Every time I see that angle I am reminded of Benito Santiago.  Whether you like the story or not, Adam Greenberg is a memorable part of the 2012 season and that's what cards should be about...memories.

I'll be back tomorrow with the first of the Rockies' divisional rivals and the final color change of this set.

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Way to go including the Greenberg card. Are there people who don't like that story? I mean, besides the fact that the Marlins were involved, who were a complete train wreck this year.