A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Monday, December 8, 2014

2014 Quarry Unlimited - #13 Detroit Tigers Part 1



Coming in at #13 are the Detroit Tigers.  The Tigers are an interesting lot.  I shouldn't like them at all.  They are in the same division as several teams that I like.  They are a big spending team in comparison to those other teams.  They were also one of my least favorite teams growing up.  I know some people love the 1984 Tigers, but I was not one of them.  They are also a consistent winner (at least for the last 10 years or so), which usually makes a team less interesting to me.  For some unknown reason, I still seem to like the Tigers.  Or at the very least, I do not dislike them as much as I should.

Perhaps it is the 15 year down period in the 90s/early 2000s that I still remember.  Perhaps it is because the only time I get to watch them in the regular season is when they play the White Sox on WGN and I will do anything to root against Hawk Harrelson.  Perhaps it is that they often play against more malevolent teams in the playoffs the only other time I actually get to watch them play.  I have a feeling if Tigers/Royals, Tigers/Twins, or Tigers/Indians were ever shown on TV as much as Yankees/Red Sox, then the Tigers would show up a lot lower on this list in the future.

But for now, they are likable to me.  In fact the Tigers are responsible for one of my lasting memories of the 2014 season.  I was watching the White Sox play the Tigers on trade deadline day.  On that day, the Tigers made the big acquisition of David Price.  In exchange for Price, center fielder Austin Jackson was sent to Seattle in a 3 way deal.  Jackson was playing in center field when the trade was made and the general manager had to tell the manager to remove him from the game.  With everyone involved pretty much knowing Jackson playing his last game for the Tigers, the crowd gave Jackson one of the biggest ovations I have ever seen.  I am not the sappiest individual, but it really was quite a poignant moment.  To me, it was a lot better than all of the Derek Jeter goodbyes put together.




TIGERS TEAM TRIVIA

Total # of Tigers in 2014 - 48

# of new Tigers in 2014 - 28

Best score in 2014 - July 10 at Royals 16-4

Worst score in 2014 - August 22 at Twins 20-6

Border color that worked best with this team - Yellow

Border color that worked least with this team - Purple

Position on last year's list - #12 = DOWN 1


Let's take a look at the first half of the 2014 Detroit Tigers with the manager's card leading the way.





PURPLE






GREEN






BLUE







I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2.  As usual, your thoughts are always welcome and encouraged.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: