A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #21 Philadelphia Phillies Part 2



One thing I have to mention when talking about the Philadelphia Phillies is the horrible team nickname.  I have never liked Phillies as a name because it just sounds too simplistic.  New York doesn't have the Yorkies, Minnesota doesn't have the Minnies, and Los Angeles doesn't have the Angels (oops, well at least they were California and Anaheim before becoming redundant).  I realize that the nickname has caught on, but that doesn't change the fact that I think it is ridiculous.  Am I being overly critical or does this make sense to everyone else?  While you mull over whether or not I am an ass, take a look at the remaining 2012 Philadelphia Phillies.











My Top 5 Phillies Cards
1. Brian Schneider
2. Domonic Brown
3. Pete Orr
4. Josh Lindblom
5. Ryan Howard

Normally I wouldn't put an average play at the plate card at #1, but the Schneider is so much more.  I like the angle that showcases the right field corner, the first baseman and baserunner, and the first base umpire not really caring what's going on.  At #2 is Domonic Brown in a nice sliding pose.  The only thing that kept it from being #1 was the fact that I don't know whether the catch was made or not.  The Pete Orr card appears to be a stolen base photo and it seems the runner will be safe because of a bad throw.  Good imagery.  The Josh Lindblom is on here specifically for the 1985 style uniform.  I wish Philly would bring those back.  I would like them more in those unis.  Finally, the Ryan Howard is a classic slugger's pose.  Just because it is classic (or even cliche), doesn't mean it's still not a great shot.


Join me on Monday when I will be discussing the #22 team, which can't seem to find a home.

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

night owl said...

Some college teams do what the Phillies did with their nickname (I'm thinking of the St. Thomas Tommies). I think it's an old-style practice.

It doesn't bother me.

The Juan Pierre card amuses me, just because he's known for so many action-oriented cards.