A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Monday, December 10, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #16 Oakland A's Part 1



Leading off the second half of the countdown is the third former favorite team of mine, the Oakland A's.  The A's occupied my top slot from around 1986-1992 until I finally got tired of Tony LaRussa.  It wasn't Canseco that made the A's my favorite, like most people, it was McGwire and especially Carney Lansford.  1986 Topps was probably the first thing that I loved about the A's.  I loved the standalone color of green in the set.  It really made them stand out in my 10 year old mind.  For the rest of the 90's, the A's were still in the top 5.  Moneyball has pushed them down the list this far and they will probably continue to plummet.  It's not that I don't appreciate statistics, quite the opposite, but I like traditional stats just as much.  I could probably go on, but none of us wants that, so let's take a look at the first half of the 2012 Oakland A's and some trivia.


If I were an A's fan...

Title of the blog - A's for Effort

Favorite Player (current) - Pat Neshek  (hey he's one of us)

Favorite Player (all time) - Carney Lansford

Least Favorite Player (current) - Stephen Drew

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Rickey Henderson


2012 Oakland A's Total Cards = 51











I wonder why A's caught on for the Athletics, but M's never caught on for the Mariners.  I prefer the abbreviated version of Oakland's name, but I hated Seattle's when they switched around 1988.  What are your thoughts of abbreviated nicknames?

I'll be back tomorrow with arguably the best photo of the set so far.

Thanx for reading.


1 comment:

night owl said...

Abbreviated names are cool as long as they're not too cutesy. D'Backs annoys the hell out of me.

I haven't liked any card I've seen of Yoenis Cespedes so far, so congrats on producing one I like.