A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #14 Detroit Tigers Part 2


Consistency.  It is something that is very important in baseball, because you don't win the pennant in April.  For my money, I prefer teams that have consistency in another aspect of the game...uniforms.  I bring that up today because, aside from the Yankees, no other baseball uniform has been as consistent as the Tiger home uniform with the Old English "D."  That is one of the reasons I am a Rockies fan, because of consistency in uniform and logo.  There is something to respect about making a choice and sticking to it.











My Top 5 Tigers Cards
1. Omar Infante
2. Omir Santos
3. Collin Balester
4. Quintin Berry
5. Delmon Young

The Infante is a very nice action shot of what appears to be a stolen base attempt.  I am always a fan of dirt clouds on cards.  The Santos card is yet another fine catcher action shot.  It would've been at #1 if Santos had caught the ball.  I can never resist a bubble being blown on a baseball card, so Balester was an easy choice here even without a cap.  The angle on the Berry photo is very interesting for a baserunning card.  I'm sure it's been done before, but it still looks good.  At #5, Delmon Young gets the nod over a couple of really good dugout shots due to the great purple background.  You don't usually see that kind of color combo outside of a Rockies card.

Finally, I mentioned a while back that 14 managers in 2012 were featured on 1986 Topps cards.  That is still true, but there was a 15th on the 1986 Topps design.  Tigers manager Jim Leyland had his "rookie" manager card in 1986 Topps Traded.  He is his side-by-side. 


Man, I miss that old striped, see-through, "10 gallon stovepipe" Pittsburgh cap.  It may be ugly, but at least they tried for different with a piece of equipment that could use a little change.

Thanx for reading.

No comments: