A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Rockie Trading Post #26 - Special Returning Guest Justin from Justin's World

Welcome to the latest episode of The Rockie Trading Post.  Tonight's special returning guest is Justin from Justin's World.  Justin was a guest on TRTP #11 and makes his grand return here on #26.  In case you missed it, Justin is a Cubs collector and a big time TTM fan.  This trade was requested by Justin who was seeking a silk card for his collection.  I had one that no one else seemed to want so away it went to Justin and here is his review of the trade.  In return he send me some goodies, here are some of them.

Let's start with our Todd Helton card of the day.  This is a 2008 Upper Deck X Xponetial insert.  It is the most common of the 3 phases, but who cares because I still didn't have it.  The card is kind of busy, but not really in a bad way.  I like the looks of this card and I think Upper Deck X has kind of gotten a bad rap as a set in general.

Here we have a trio of Rockies to add to the collection.  The Seth Smith is a rookie from 2008 Upper Deck First Edition.  I have stated before I think I prefer First Edition to the main set in 2008.  Who needs foil names?  The Jeff Salazar is also from First Edition, but one year earlier.  This is a 2007 First Pitch Foundations insert that focuses on young players.  The set also features Ubaldo and Tulowitzki, which I do not have if any of you have them lying around.  The J.D. Closser is from 2006 Fleer.  It fits in perfectly a disappointing Rockies catcher in a disappointing set reboot.  I wish real Fleer would come back.

Justin also sent me quite a few rookie cup cards.  Let's start off with a pair of players that made the team after only a partial season.  Dave Justice was called up in late May of 1990 and absolutely tore up Major League pitchers en route to the NL Rookie of the Year Award.  Mauer started the 2004 as the Twins catcher, but his season was cut very short due to injury.  He still made the All-Rookie team despite only playing 35 games.  I think this was due to the lack of rookie catchers elsewhere in the league that year, but obviously Mauer has proven to be a worthwhile selection.

Here is a pair of rookies from the 2006 Topps set.  Tadahito Iguchi had a good 2005 season and a decent sophomore season, but he quickly became nothing more than a journeyman back up middle infielder at least in the States.  He is currently back in Japan as the 2B for the Chiba Lotte Marines.  Then we come to future Rockie Huston Street.  Street was AL Rookie of the Year in 2005 as Oakland's closer and has proven to be one of the more reliable closers in the league. 

The final two new cup cards for me (from this trade anyway) were the 2007 Topps Justin Verlander and the 2009 Topps Joey Votto.  Verlander was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2006 and hasn't let up since.  He is one of the best pitchers in the American League and I hope he never goes to Boston or New York so I can continue to like him.  Votto is the guy that I would love to be the eventual replacement for Todd Helton at first base in Denver.  It will probably never happen, but he is a fun player to watch and I think he will be dominating for the next ten years plus.

Believe it or not, this 1988 Donruss #8 Devon White Diamond King is my favorite card from this trade.  Why? you ask would a card from one of the worst looking sets from the overproduction era be my favorite.  Because this card allows to use the greatest card blog phrase around "Joy of a completed set."  That's right I now no longer need any more 1988 Donruss cards.  I completed this set actually in 1988, but they became the actual Cards My Mother Threw Out.  Hmm, maybe Mom was onto something.  But no now 1988 Donruss can take its place alongside 1987 Topps and several others as (adult-collected) completed sets from my youth.

Thanks again Justin for the trade and we can do it again anytime.  Make sure you stop by his blog here and read about some Cubs and other baseball related matters.  Well that just wraps up this edition of The Rockie Trading Post.  Join us next time for a 2 in 1 trade post with everyone's favorite Twins fan.  Until then, we are officially signed off.

No comments: