A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Rockie Trading Post #23 - Special Returning Guest Scott from Scott Crawford on Cards

Welcome to the latest edition of The Rockie Trading Post.  Today's special returning guest is Scott from Scott Crawford on Cards.  Here is a link to Scott's first visit to TRTP.  In case you haven't met Scott (and are too lazy to click the previous link), he is a player collector and seems to be focusing on team sets of the Brooklyn Dodgers and Seattle Pilots currently.  On this go around I sent Scott some cards that I pulled from my Sunday Afternoon Blaster of Goodwin, Icons, and Timeline.  Man, the Sunday blaster was a great idea for posts and trade bait (and fun).  He was a little short on Rockies this time around so I took some #'d cards from a couple of other teams that I shouldn't have any problems flipping along with a few Rockies as well.  Let's take a look at my new cards.

Let's start off with my favorite card of the trade.  This is a 2009 Bowman blue parallel Chris Iannetta #'d 055/500.  I had gotten a couple of orange parallels #'d to 250 from 2009 Bowman, but this is my first blue from that year.  The picture is both cool and alarming at the same time.  Take notice of the ball and glove placement.  There is no way Chris is catching that ball and it is going to be hitting him in the mask or neck.  Plus, if I'm not mistaken his eyes are closed.
 
Scott also included a 2007 Topps that I didn't have, this Clint Barmes.  I think 2007 Topps is a very underrated set design.  I think it is the 2nd best base design (close over 2003) from 2001-2010 behind 2009.  Although I understand why some people that are super concerned about condition don't like it.  Also pictured is a 2001 Fleer Platinum Larry Walker which shows him not appearing too happy to sign a ball for someone.  He just looks grumpy in that pic.

Here is my first 2011 Diamond whatever card of Carlos Gonzalez.  CarGo is the only player to appear in both the Wal Mart and Target diamond sets, meaning I need to track down 4 of these now, since there are 2 versions of each store's set.  The last Rockie from the trade is this 2008 Bowman Joe Koshansky.  I had to look up what year this card was from because all the recent Bowman base designs are way too similar.  I like sets to be different looking from year to year.  Sure you sometimes end up with a 1990 Topps (which I like BTW) or 2002 Topps, but you could also get a 1962 Topps or 1975 Topps.

Now we come to the new trade bait portion of the show.  Scott did a fine job filling out the trade with a few decent #'d cards for me to flip.  I am not a very picky trader, some Rockies and some cards I can later flip are fine with me for something you really want.  I sort of believe in karma, so it all evens out in the end.  The easiest to trade will be the middle card, a 2007 Upper Deck Future Stars Two for the Bigs, featuring Alejandro de Aja of the Marlins and Hunter Pence of the Astros #'d to /999.  The other new cards for me are a 2007 Topps '52 Rookies Travis Metcalf chrome refractor #'d to /552 and a 2008 Topps Heritage Chrome Gil Meche #'d to 1959.  If you have any interest in any of these three please don't hesitate to comment below.


Thanks again Scott for the trade and I am sure we will do it again.  Check out his blog here.  You may have noticed something missing from this trade.  This is the first Rockie trade I have ever made that did not include a Todd Helton card of the day.  That's okay even Todd deserves a day off every now and then.  He will be back with a fury in our next episode featuring a lot of older men than even Helton.  Until then, we are officially signed off.

No comments: