A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

2014 Quarry Unlimited - #8 Cleveland Indians Part 1



Every year when I put together these rankings, there is always a surprise team or two that ends up higher or lower that I would have first thought once it get put down on paper.  This year one of those teams is the Indians.  I have never really been a big fan of the Indians and I don't really like their manager, but somehow here they sit at #8.  I'm left to ponder why I have them at #8.

The first reason that comes to mind is their position in the standings.  Right now they are on the cusp of the playoffs and are usually the underdog around August and September.  I tend to root for the underdog in most cases.  But I don't think that really applies here because the Royals were the plucky underdog in the AL Central and I didn't want Cleveland to catch them.

My next thought was that some of the players on the team are really likable.  I do like Jason Kipnis and Jason Giambi, but for the most part the Indians are really unknown to me.  Except for Nick Swisher and I can't stand that guy.  The Gabe Kapler, Nick Swisher, Frank Thomas pre-game analyst grouping during the World Series was the worst trio since Germany, Italy, and Japan in WWII.  Horrible, just horrible.

My final thought was that the Indians just had a lot of good photos this year and in my mind I moved them up because I liked a few of the cards.  I did the same thing last year with the Phillies.  In my opinion, the Indians are one of the top two "cardogenic" teams in this year's Quarry Unlimited set (the second team hasn't shown up yet) and maybe I did move them up because of that.  I think I will stick with that explanation because otherwise I will have to admit to myself that my rankings are completely arbitrary and I am not quite ready to do that.




INDIANS TEAM TRIVIA

Total # of Indians in 2014 - 46

# of new Indians in 2014 - 19

Best score in 2014 - May 14 at Blue Jays 15-4

Worst score in 2014 - September 1 vs. Tigers 12-1

Border color that worked best with this team - Green

Border color that worked least with this team - Purple

Position on last year's list - #10 = UP 2


Let's take a look at the first half of the 2014 Cleveland Indians with the manager's card leading the way.






PURPLE






GREEN






BLUE






I'll be back tomorrow with Part 2.  As usual, your thoughts are always welcome and encouraged.

Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I've often lamented the fact that there aren't any cards of players running/sliding on the tarp. I think that Aviles is my new favorite from the Quarry Unlimited set thus far.