A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

My newest side collections


Before we begin, let me state that I am still first and foremost a Rockies collector.  That will more than likely never change.  However, I do occasionally like to dip my toe in the water of other things.  During my hiatus I felt comfortable enough to embark on a new player collection and a (partial) set collection.  Let me now introduce the new things you can send me if you are out of Rockies.


BEN REVERE




Up until mid-April, the only two things I knew Ben Revere for were his membership on the 2012 Topps Rookie Cup team and having, in my opinion, the best card in my 2013 Quarry Unlimited set.  However around mid-April, Jim from The Phillies Room had a post that showed Ben Revere as hailing from Richmond, KY.  Those of you that have traded with me might know that that is where I live.  There are very few pro athletes from Richmond and I can't believe that I missed this one.  He went to high school in another town, so I'll cut myself some slack on that one.  Either way, I am happy to add Mr. Revere to my card collection.  I am not going to be a "super-collector" tracking down 1/1 cards or small printing cards.  I am going to be a "mega-collector" of his by gathering any card with a print run of 25 or higher.  I will be collecting him as a Phillie (like the first card) and as a Twin (like the middle card) and as a rec league softball player (like the last card).  I hope to have a want list up in the near future, but as of now I only have 30/301 of his cards so I need quite a bit.  



2014 TOPPS ARCHIVES (1986s only)




2014 Topps Archives was pretty much met with a collective yawn about the card blog community.  Allow me to join in that yawn.  If it wasn't for the inclusion of my favorite set of all time, I would have not given this set a second glance after getting my Rockies.  However, the 1986 Topps set was included so I feel honor-bound to collect it.  I am not 100% happy with the set, but I will get into that more later when I have the set complete and do a review and comparison.  I really think my blog is the perfect place for that to happen, because I can not only compare and contrast with the original 1986 set, but I can also compare and contrast with my 2012 Quarry Unlimited set which used the same design.  I am going to have a lot of fun with that and I hope I will be able to give my readers some fun as well.  As with Revere, I hope to have a want list for this set up shortly, but as of this moment I have 0 cards. 




MY ONE OF COLLECTION





In my Mountains to Climb for both 2013 and 2014 I mentioned this new collection, but I haven't gone any further.  I'm still not going to here either because it will probably take too long, but I am going to say that a full explanation of this collection will take place before the end of this month.  I am going to try and make it well worth the wait, but after nearly two years I think my write up would have to be like a new Charles Dickens novel to achieve that goal.  That isn't going to happen, but I'll still try to entertain you a bit.



Thanx for reading.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

My first year of blogging, I had a lot of fun collecting the 50 cards with the '71 design from the Archvies set. I can contribute cards 111, 115, 138, and 146 from the rack pack I picked up last week. I'll toss those in a PWE w/the Gamble and Morales you claimed off my blog.