A place where Colorado Rockies baseball card collectors (all 3 of us) can waste some time reading about our favorite sport. The Rockies and their cards will be the primary focus, but I like to go off on tangents as well so anything and everything baseball related may be covered here.

Friday, January 4, 2013

2012 Quarry Unlimited - #27 New York Yankees Part 1



You know we must coming close to the end when the New York Yankees make an appearance.  They are coming at #27 this year.  The Yankees have been bottom five on my list since they started the ball rolling to the inflated payrolls of today.  They probably started it around the time I was born with the Reggie Jackson signing in 1976, but they definitely ramped it up in the late 1990's and throughout this century.  I really hate the Yankees, but I understand that they are needed.  The Yankees are the perfect villain for the majority of baseball teams.  In the AL East they are rivals obviously, for the rest of the AL they are playoff foes, for small market teams they are the evil rich guys, and for other big market teams they are the main competition in free agency.  Everybody can hate them equally.  Sure they might be taking a step back, but I think that will last until the first losing season then it will begin anew.  Let's take a look at some trivia and the first half of the 2012 New York Yankees.



If I were a Yankees fan...


Title of the blog - Empty Calories and a Little Male Curiosity

Favorite Player (current) - Raul Ibanez

Favorite Player (all time) - Dave Winfield

Least Favorite Player (current) - Alex Rodriguez

Least Favorite Player (all time) - Don Mattingly


2012 New York Yankees Total Cards = 46












One thing that helped me to like the Yankees hate the Yankees a little less was their frequent appearances on Seinfeld.  I loved that show and I think some of its best episodes were during George's employment with the Yankees.  In fact the fake title of the blog I mentioned above is a direct quote from "George Steinbrenner."  Has any movie or TV show caused you to like a team a little more?  The biggest one I can think of is Major League with the Indians, but I'm sure there are other examples.

Thanx for reading.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

love the Seinfield reference. there are times when I wouldn't mind having George's special desk .

night owl said...

That Darnell McDonald card is freaky.

This team segment will feature the most number of players that I want to punch. (In fact, I can't believe you ranked them so highly :)